Updating firmware using AWS IoT jobs
– Cinterion® ELS61 Wireless Module
At any time the AWS IoT Core Device Management service may instruct the
Throughout the update process, the
SUCCEEDED status is published, and the AWS IoT Core Device Management service marks the job as complete.
For information about jobs, see https://docs.aws.amazon.com/iot/latest/developerguide/iot-jobs.html.
Before you begin
Obtain the firmware image
Creating a JSON job description file
Create a UTF-8 encoded JSON job description file for the firmware update.
The job description must contain
locationparameters that specify which update to apply, and where to find it.
For more information, seeExample job document.
Upload the JSON job description file and firmware image
zipfile to the S3 bucket in the same root account as the IoT things.
For more information, see https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/user-guide/upload-objects.html
The Job process does not permit cross-region operation. You must upload the S3 bucket in the same region as the things you are updating. If you are operating across multiple regions, upload the .zip file into an S3 bucket for each region.
Example job document
Updates AnyNet SMARTconnect™ application on the
The image file must exist in Eseye
Creating an AWS IoT custom job
In the left-hand AWS IoT menu, select Manage > Jobs.
On the Start a job for your devices page, select Create a job.
The Select a job page appears.
Select Create custom job.
The Create a job page appears.
- Type in a Job ID and optional Description.
- Under Select devices to Update, click or tap Select to view a list of Thingsthat exist in the selected region.
- Select one or more checkboxes alongside the things that require the firmware update.
- Under Add a job file, select the JSON job description you created from the S3 bucket.
- Under Pre-sign resource URLs select I want to pre-sign my URLs and have configured my job file.
Select the pre-signing role from the drop down list.
Alternatively, create a pre-signing role if required.
- Under URL will expire at this time, select the URL expiry time from the drop-down list.
- Leave all other settings as the default settings.
- Select Next.
- On the Advanced configurations page, leave all settings as the default settings.
- Select Create to create the job and start the update process.